Wednesday, March 5, 2008

free-write on earliest memories with technology. by kristin.

I remember our first PC. CD-ROMs were special, we had one. We bought our computer from our neighbors- the Amanis. My brother and I used the computer to play very simple games- but we had Nintendo before that, and there were computers at school. At the age of three I performed in a Dance show. I was an “Indian” in the un-PC costume, and I was videotaped. But we always had TV, though I can’t remember watching TV that young, I’m sure that I did. My first memory was being in a baby carrier, my mom was bout to leave me in the care of a friend, a babysitter- Emma, I had the understanding that we had arrived there by car and that I was not near home because the smells and light and maybe temp. were different. I was crying because my mother was going to leave, but was unable to articulate it; I wasn’t talking yet. The car/van/vehicle- that was, maybe, my first experience with technology. An unpleasant one in the memory because it allowed my mother to take me away from home- somewhere I didn’t want to go. I have a memory of being in the hospital and someone said that a bottle needed to be warmed up; I think I saw a microwave in my mind, although I’m no sure I fully comprehended the “microwave”. This was probably when my brother was born. In this case the technology was going to give me something I wanted.

No comments: